Written by M. Lynx Qualey, ArabLit provides news on Arabic literature, features on fresh literary voices from the region, and profiles on Arabic-English literary translations.
- Book Fairs Still Thriving in Riyadh, Muscat 8 Mar 2014The Muscat International Book Fair in Oman, which closes tomorrow and has in the past seen 800,000-some visitors, saw an infrastructural push this year. Meanwhile, the giant Riyadh Book Fair -- which sees between one and two million visitors -- opened on March 5.
- Sinan Antoon, Hassan Blasim on This Year’s Independent Foreign Fiction Prize Longlist 7 Mar 2014Two Iraqi writers -- Sinan Antoon (The Corpse Washer) and Hassan Blasim (The Iraqi Christ) -- are joined by Palestinian-Israeli novelist Sayed Kashua, who writes in Hebrew, on this year's Independent Foreign Fiction Prize (IFFP) 15-book longlist.
- Moroccan Poet Mohammed Bennis Receives France’s Max Jacob ‘Étranger’ Prize 6 Mar 2014'Yesterday, Moroccan poet Mohammed Bennis was awarded one of two Max Jacob prizes at a ceremony in Paris.
- International Prize for Arabic Fiction Judge Mehmet Hakkı Suçin: Advice to Young Novelists 5 Mar 2014At the time of the International Prize for Arabic Fiction (IPAF) shortlist announcement, ArabLit and 7iber had interviews with four of the five judges. One judge was missing, Mehmet Hakkı Suçin. He graciously followed up with an email interview.
- A Bird Is Not a Stone: The Palestinian Poets ‘Rarely Translated into English’ 4 Mar 2014A Bird is not a Stone, ed. Henry Bell and Sarah Irving, is a collection of poems by contemporary Palestinian writers forthcoming from Glasgow's Freight Books. The translations are done -- through the bridge method -- by 25 of Scotland's top poets. Irving talks about the collection, which she suggests is perhaps "freer" for being a bridge […]
- Full Schedule of Cairo’s ‘Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here’ Events 3 Mar 2014If you're in Cairo, there are a number of events on an around the seventh anniversary of the bombing of al-Mutanabbi Street. If you're not, a number of them will be videoed and made available online. […]
- In Other Words: The Translational Challenges of Dubbing and Subtitling 2 Mar 2014Last Monday, translator Zeinab Mobarak gave a lecture on the creative arts of dubbing and subtitling at the American University in Cairo (AUC). Contrary to popular belief, Mobarak said, dubbing for film is a difficult art.
- March 2014: Global ArabLit Events Calendar 1 Mar 2014Global events calendar -- of Arabic and Arab literary events -- for March, 2014. […]
- Poet Sawsan Al-Areeqe on the Best and Worst of Being a Poet in Yemen and Why You Should Read Ali al-Muqri 28 Feb 2014While she was in Iowa City, participating in the International Writing Program (IWP)'s fall 2013 residency, Yemeni poet and filmmaker Sawsan Al-Areeqe spoke with the program's "On the Map" series. The video interview was recently released on YouTube.
- Mohammed Abdelnaby on the Best Thing About Being a Writer in Egypt 27 Feb 2014International Writing Program (IWP)'s "On the Map" series recently released an interview with Egyptian novelist Muhammad Abdelnaby, who talked about the best and worst things about being a writer in Egypt, […]