Written by M. Lynx Qualey, ArabLit provides news on Arabic literature, features on fresh literary voices from the region, and profiles on Arabic-English literary translations.
- #LitSummitQatar Opens 9 Dec 2013This year's #LitSummitQatar has opened in the middle of the Doha International Book Fair -- which features titles from some 360 publishers and events with popular authors such as Qatari novelist Abdulaziz Al Mahmoud, Qatari poet Maryam Al Subaiey, and Irish poet Colette Bryce. The fair's events are overshadowed by nearby fairs in Sharjah and Abu Dh […]
- Kareem James Abu-Zeid on Why *You* Should Apply for a Banff Residency 8 Dec 2013Yes, he means you. Well, at least if you're a translator in the Americas or translating an American work. Apologies to non-Americas-based translators of Arabic literature.
- ‘As Detailed A Picture of Ibn Ḥanbal’s World as We’re Likely to Get’ 7 Dec 2013As regular readers already know, I'm a fan of Ibn al-Jawzi's biography of Ibn Hanbal. Translator Michael Cooperson answered a few questions about the project in a post that originally appeared on the Library of Arabic Literature blog.
- Kassem Istanbouli: On Performing Theatre in Arabic for Non-Arabic-Speaking Audiences 6 Dec 2013Palestinian-Lebanese playwright Kassem Istanbouli – founder of Istanbouli Theatre — recently wrapped up a multi-city European tour at Holland’s Dancing on the Edge Intercultural Festival, discussions of contemporary Arab theatre, and a masterclass at the Amsterdam University. One of the most fascinating aspects... Read More ›
- New for Winter 2013: Arabic Poetry and Prose Online 5 Dec 2013There are several new Arabic literary works that have appeared online (in translation) in the last month.
- Memoirs by Women ‘Who Did Not Leave the Region Permanently’ 4 Dec 2013A few days ago, I saw a tweet from @drawmedy saying, "Trying to find memoirs written by women from ME region who *did not leave the region permanently.* Suggestions? @arablit? Saadawi and...?
- If You’re in Cairo: Translation Studies Workshop at Cairo University 4 Dec 2013On December 9 and 10, the British Academy is sponsoring a Translation Studies workshop at Cairo University in the English Department to help launch a new MA in Translation Studies
- Poet Ahmed Fouad Negm Dies at 84 3 Dec 2013The Egyptian colloquial poet Ahmad Fouad Negm died Tuesday morning at the age of 84, just before he was to travel to receive the 2013 Prince Claus Award for "Unwavering Integrity."
- Arabic Literature, Spanish Readers 3 Dec 2013Continuing our series of Arabic Literature, World Readers -- which kicked off with a discussion between ArabLit and Richard Jacquemond about French readerships -- Gonzalo Fernández Parrilla answers some questions about Arabic literature and Spanish readers.
- Yemen’s Anti-drone Poetry Contest 2 Dec 2013A recent Time article by Tik Root (@TikRoot) looks at "Yemen’s New Ways of Protesting Drone Strikes: Graffiti and Poetry." According to Root, a recent anti-drone poetry contest had as its prize $600 or "1% of the cost of a hellfire missile."