Social Media Editor
Muftah.org, digital magazine on global events
New York City preferable. Remote possible.
Muftah is seeking a social media editor to drive traffic to and user engagement on Muftah.org, with a commitment of 6-8 hours per week, and a minimum commitment of 1 year.
- Manage all social media profiles on a daily basis (Twitter, Facebook, and newsletters), while keeping an eye on other opportunities
- Promote compelling social content around Muftah; including live-tweeting and other support for Muftah events.
- Liaise with editors and staff to ensure they’re up to speed and utilizing social media best practices for promoting their content; be able to provide brief social media training to staff, as necessary
- Write compelling headlines and descriptions to drive shareability of content
- Maintain weekly analytics and statistics on digital communications outcomes
- Manage other members of social media team.
- 1+ years experience managing Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and email newsletters for brands or news/media
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Extensive knowledge of past, present, and future trends in social media
- Sound editorial judgment of global issues, particularly in the Arab world
- A passion and commitment to Muftah’s spirit of journalism
- Sound leadership and communication abilities
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills are a must
- Demonstrated successful experience in digital media strategy
- Experience using tools like Hootsuite, TweetDeck, WordPress, MailChimp, etc.
- Graphic design experience strongly preferred
- Familiarity with HTML/CSS ideal
How to Apply
Send your resume, cover letter explaining your reason for applying to the position, the names and contact info for two references, and any additional materials you think might be helpful to [email protected] The application deadline is February 5, 2018.
Founded in May 2010, Muftah.org is a digital magazine publishing work from a young, diverse set of writers who are challenging the mainstream, U.S. media’s coverage on global events. Muftah is primarily focused on the Middle East and North Africa, Eastern Europe and Central Asia, with plans to expand to other regions in the near future.
This is an exciting opportunity, particularly for those looking to build their profile in the social media space. By joining our team, you’ll be part of growing the publication while working on an international scale. You’ll be working remotely (we don’t have a physical office), so you’ll need a functioning computer and regular and reliable Internet access, including on a mobile device.